Monday, January 24, 2011

Grave Goods

My love of horses was the first thing that came to my mind when I started thinking of goods I would like to have placed in my grave.  All of my tack that I've purchased over time and consider to be very valuable would have to go into my grave! 

This includes my saddle, bridles and various other pieces of riding tack.  Unfortunately, with it being leather, the only parts that would preserve would be the stirrup irons on the saddle, the bits on the bridles, and all the buckles. 

Those that know me understand the importance of horses and riding in my life and having related items as grave goods would definitely give an impression of my connection to horses. Since the time when horses first came to be ridden in saddles and bridles, the basic idea of the saddle and bridle with the metal stirrup irons and metal bit has not changed.  If archaeologists found my grave in the future they would probably know what the stirrup irons, bits and buckles were all about and say "Ha!  This is a horse person!"

No comments:

Post a Comment